Data mining, social engineering, scammers, and identity theft, the best protection against these security vulnerabilities is education of the human user. Students will discuss how to think smartly about the social media. We have to learn how to weigh the consequences of our rational choices, for every action has consequences. Therefore, we should not do things impulsively or due to social pressures, such as posting birthday thanks, celebrating a new driver’s license, or posting unflattering selfies. Then, the consequences can be horrendous and it can haunt us for many years to come and make us vulnerable to identity theft, extortion, and other victimizations.
- Abawajy, Jemal. “User Preference of Cyber Security Awareness Delivery Methods.” Behavior & Information Technology, 2014, Volume 33, Number 3, 236-247.
- Corera, Gordon. Cyber Spies. New York, NY: Pegasus Books LTD, 2015.
- Dawson, Marie and Marwan Omar Eds. New Threats and Countermeasures in Digital Crime and Cyber Terrorism. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 2015.
- Gredler, Cody. “The Real Cost of Identity Theft,” September 9, 2016. https://www.csid.com/2016/09/real-cost-identity-theft/ accessed on June 7, 2019.
- Holt, Thomas J., Adam M. Bossler, and Kathryn C. Seigfried-Spellar. Cybercrime and Digital Forensics. New York, NY: Routledge, 2015.
- Identity Theft Resource Center. “Are You Sharing Your Security Answers on Social Media?” https://www.idtheftcenter.org/are-you-sharing-your-security-answers-on-social-media-2/ January 19, 2018, accessed on June 3, 2019.
- Kusumaningrum, Retno and Suryono Satriyo Adhy. “WCLOUDVIZ: Word Cloud Visualization of Indonesian News Articles Classification Based on Latent Dirichlet Allocation.” Telkomnia, Volume 16, Number 14, August 2018, pp. 1752-1759.
- Misch, Frederick C., Ed. Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary. Springfield, MA: Merriam Websters, Inc., 2003.
- Picchi, Aimee. “A Problem for Facebook Users: Identity Scams.” https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-growing-problem-for-facebook-users-identity-scams/ April 17, 2018, accessed on June 6, 2019.
- Ritzer, George. Sociological Theory. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2011.
- Vacca, John R. Cyber Security and IT Infrastructure Protection. New York, NY: Syngress, 2014.
- Zaccaro, Stephen J., Reeshad S. Dalal, Lois E. Tetrick, and Julie A. Steinke, Eds. Psychosocial Dynamics of Cyber Security. New York, NY: Routledge, 2016.