Quick Stego Tutorial
- At bottom left corner, click “Open Image.”
- Then, click on “Desktop” on the left of the screen, and open (double click) the folder titled “Steg Pictures.”
- Select your image, and click open. The image should show in the left box in the Steganography program
Creating a Message
- In the black box, to the right of your image, type your message
- Then click “Hide Text” at the bottom of the screen.
- The text is now hidden in the image.
Saving Image with Steganography
- Click on “Save Image”
- Click on “desktop,” enter bmp for the file name and save it
- Close the QuickStego program.
- Locate the file “Stego1.bmp” on your desktop and double click on it. (Can you see the hidden file in the picture?)
- Close the image
- Re-open the QuickStego software, open the image “Stego1.bmp”, and the hidden message should show.
- Open “Notepad” by clicking on START, then ACCESSORIES, and then NOTEPAD.
- Create a message to hide in the image
- Save the file on the Desktop as “File1.txt”
- Close the program
Starting the program
- To start the program, double click on the program WinHip
- Click “File”, then “Open Picture.”
- Go to “Desktop” and open the folder titled “Steg Pictures,” and select a picture to hide a text message in.
- Click “Image”, then “Hide File”
- Find the “File1.txt” file on the Desktop and double click it
- Create a password and then click “OK” (make sure you remember your password).
- The file is now hidden in your image. Can you see it?
- Click on “Image”, then click “Save Picture As,” rename the file to “Stego3.bmp”, and save to the Desktop
- Close the application
- Open the winhip application by double clicking its icon on the desktop.
- Click “File,” then “desktop,” and find your image named “Stego3.bmp”
- Click “Image”, then “Retrieve File”
- Enter the password you created and click “OK”
- Save your file to the desktop and rename it as a “file4.txt” file and click “save”
- Close WinHip and locate the txt file from the desktop
- Double click on the file and the hidden message should appear